Tuesday, July 6, 2010

When Sleep is a Distant Friend

I have never been a great sleeper at night but in the last six months this has become more of a challenge for me. I
rarely have caffeine, exercise, and still no zzzzzz's. What do I mean by no sleep - exactly that - no sleep or at a
maximum 3-4 hours.

I can only watch so many old episodes of "Law and Order" and then you get stir crazy. A friend suggested I get up and work and then I would grow tired. I didn't grow tired but I got a lot done. The only problem is the next day it is hard to remember where I put the mail - and the frozen food is in the fridge. :) I left the sliding door open....so that approach is not working.

I then remembered something my Mom shared with me when she was diagnosed with terminal cancer and fought a nine year battle. She said, I ask God to wake me up earlier each day so I can get everyone prayed for on my list." Knowing how rotten she felt, I wondered, "what are you thinking Mom."

After trying everything else....I decided when life give's you opportunities - seize them. My lack of sleep was an opportunity to pray, read, and even sing.

My sleep will come back to me when it should with God and my doctor's help - until then I choose to see this as an opportunity-
Thanks Mom for having an uncanny way of "reframing" some your life's circumstances.......I am learning to "reframe" too.

P.S. My Grand Marais factoid - the first chirp I hear is a beautiful robin out my window between 4:08 and 4:10 a.m. and slowly a little ensemble grows to choir size proportions at 5:00 a.m. I would have missed that had I been sleeping....aren't you glad you know that? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment